Author Topic: Tools for translation ?  (Read 4884 times)

Offline ouioui

• French Translator
  • Nuovo iscritto
Tools for translation ?
« on: Mon 05 November 2007, 13:26 »
Hello every one,

I start a new thread to speak with you about translation process.

What kind of tool you use ?
I know PsPad, but how do you organize work ?

Do you use the same translation strings between mod versions ?
Do you use a database of translated strings ?

I personnally use a old version of RC Wintrans. It's a professionnal tool to translate txt or binary files.
All strings are stored in databases, and some processes make easyer to build new version from old one. But i want to migrate to free tools.

Maybe this thead could be usefull to make a tutorial for translation process.

Offline Raid

• Administrator
  • Membro esperto
    • www.darkforge.it
Re: Tools for translation ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon 05 November 2007, 13:39 »
I just use PSPad, and translate manually the stringtable, step by step, from emule.rc file, and then I compile the DLL file using Visual C++ express 2005 (free)

Offline MsZ

• Il Manutentore
  • Militante
  • GNUru Meditation
« Reply #2 on: Mon 05 November 2007, 13:43 »
I think a manual translation (just as Raid does) might be preferable. You have 100% control over all the translation process. No unusual applications that sometimes do not behavior as you expect, like strange or unwanted comments left on a target file. (It might or might not happen, though.)

Offline ouioui

• French Translator
  • Nuovo iscritto
« Reply #3 on: Wed 07 November 2007, 14:29 »
So, you retranslate every strings eatch time you find it in a new translation ?
You can have the same string twice or more in a file, or a string reused in another mod.
By translating all manually, you can have differents translations for same strings, don't you ?
To translate new version from old version, do you use macro(s) in PsPad ?

Offline Raid

• Administrator
  • Membro esperto
    • www.darkforge.it
« Reply #4 on: Wed 07 November 2007, 15:16 »
usually I translate, becouse I love to do it, and I talk with develeper to have only the last string to add.
Only for Neomule, becouse wasn't possible to talk with xanatos, I used the command Find for each string, inside the 4.25 it.RC, manually, lot of work but pleasant, and when I found some string used for 4.50, I manually added.
Generally I remember the stringtables, but when I am unsure, I use the Find command inside the TXT or RC file to find the old one.

If you want I have a log file with some Neo 4.25 functions used on Neo 4.50 too, at least 100 functions.

P.S. (just to joke a little bit)
I am not fool  :sdentato: maybe a bit lively  :folle: and often during the translation I listen GnR, Led zeppelin, Pink floyd and Deep purple  :tup:
« Last Edit: Wed 07 November 2007, 15:20 by Raid »

Creative Commons License All ValerioCipriani.com contents are published according to Creative Common License, except different instructions. The Staff is not responsible of eventually guide, article and publishing mistakes. All published items are patent free. All trade marks reported are right reserved. Contact us, Info.